According to the American Academy of Dermatology Association, shedding 50 to 100 hairs in a day is normal (1). But when there is an abnormal hair loss in teenage girls, it might be a matter of concern because we do not usually expect hair loss to occur during teenage years. However, excessive hair loss can happen due to various reasons.
Most causes for hair loss are temporary, so do not panic. In this post, we tell you about some natural ways to prevent hair loss in teenage girls, the possible causes of excessive hair loss and the treatment options.
Natural Ways To Prevent Hair Loss In Teenage Girls
Healthy diet and hair hygiene can help you have healthy hair. The following measures may help prevent excessive hair loss:
- Eating a well-balanced diet could help keep the hair roots healthy. Foods rich in vitamins, minerals, iron, and protein may help strengthen hair.
- Be gentle when combing, brushing, or washing hair. Use a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Harsh hair-care products may damage the hair by causing split ends and breakage.
- Gentle massage with nourishing oils, such as coconut oil, may help in strengthening hair.
- Use hairstyling treatments, flat irons and curlers sparingly to avoid long-term damage to your hair.
- Try drying hair naturally and limit the use of blow dryer at high heat. It may help prevent hair damage and hairfall.
- Do not pull hair too tight in braids, ponytails, or pigtails. These may strain the roots of the hair, thus causing hair to fall.